PReSBOX – Asphalt Prism Shearbox Compactor
One of the most critical parts of any test is the quality and representability of the specimen. The PReSBOX compactor, developed collaboratively between Global and Pioneer Road Services, provides the latest in asphalt specimen preparation and mix evaluation technology. It produces asphalt beams and cylinders with excellent homogeneity and particle orientation.
The unique shearing action of the PReSBOX closely replicates the conditions under which asphalt is placed in the field and gives a good measure of workability. Good workability does not necessarily mean poor deformation resistance, however good workability is required for optimum compaction.
- Shearing motion: Electrically driven. Fixed at 2°, 4° or 6°
- Vertical stress: Pneumatic. User defined up to 2 MPa
- Specimen size (Length x Width) 450mm x 150mm
- Compaction height: User definable between 145mm and 185mm
- PC interface for user entry of compaction parameters, and graphic display of data, e.g; specimen height, vertical stress, shear stress and air voids per cycle.
- Integrated specimen extruder.
- Supplied with asphalt distribution chute, and leveling accessories.
- Air supply: Clean, dry air supply at minimum 800 kPa
- Dimensions 1,760mm high x 1,060mm deep x 1,500mm wide
- Weight 1,100kg
- Electrical power 220V—240V, 50/60Hz, 1ph, 5ª
From the 450 x 150mm x 145 to 185mm high asphalt prism four standard fatigue beams or four cores can be cut using Autosaw.
- The PReSBOX compactor allows rapid and repeatable production of asphalt prisms in the laboratory, with minimal operator involvement.
- The unique shearing action of the PReSBOX compactor closely replicates the conditions under which asphalt is placed in the field, producing prisms with uniform air void distribution and particle orientation.
- The PReSBOX compactor features a PC interface for user entry of compaction parameters, and provides a graphic display of data, e.g.; specimen height, vertical stress, shear stress and air voids per cycle.
- This data provides an accurate measure of the workability of a material (relative compactive effort) needed in the field to achieve a target void content—a critical performance-related mix characteristic.
Asphalt prisms prepared in the PReSBOX compactor can be cored or sawn to produce cylindrical or prismatic specimens suitable for testing in the AMPT Asphalt Mixture Performance Tester or Four Point Bend Apparatus.